Monday, January 17, 2011

Donuts for Brunch


I don't prepare a lot of sweets, let alone in the A.M. hours. However, given yesterday's bitter cold, my morning hunger, and a sparsely-stocked fridge, I wanted something quick and satisfying to start out the day. Since last week one of the stores I frequent had a great sale on canned biscuits, I happened to have some left over and decided to use them to make these donuts. Yes, I know, I could have made the batter myself, but since I'm much more into cooking than baking and my stomach was growling, the canned biscuits served me well!

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
Canned biscuits (these can be found in the butter and yogurt aisle of your grocery store)
Sugar
Cinnamon

Procedure:
(1) Put enough vegetable oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom with about one inch of depth. There's no need to deep fry these; in other words, there's no need that the entire donut be submerged. Set burner to medium heat.
(2) Set out each biscuit and punch a large hole to remove its center. This is best done with a screw-cap that you would find on a bottle of water or soda. Don't get rid of what you take out from the center; these will be donut holes that you can fry after the donuts themselves are done!
(3) Test the oil to see if it's ready for frying. This can be done by dropping one of the donut holes into the oil. If it starts turning dark brown very quickly or the kitchen starts smelling smokey, the oil is too hot. If there's little-to-no bubbling when you drop it in, the oil is too cold.
(4) When your oil is ready, put in several donuts. Don't overcrowd the pan, as this will cause the temperature of the oil to drop and in turn could cause your donuts to absorb too much oil, making them soggy. As the donuts puff up and turn golden brown, flip them and allow the other side to do the same.
(5) When the donuts are done, take them out of the oil with a pair of tongs and place them on a double-folded paper towel to collect any excess oil. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon while still warm and serve soon after.

5 comments:

  1. okay the donuts look delicious... but i will be on the look out for that slammin pizza I ate at your apartment in BU probably four years ago! - tu sabes quien esjaja. Pena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff- I've really improved my pizza-making technique since then and will be sure to do a pizza post in the next week or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty confident that you could do an entire blog about pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Joe! Will definitely do a pizza post as soon as I can. Perhaps we can also coordinate a "guest blogger" post every once in a while where one of your fabulous cakes is featured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cris these donuts look delicious! I have to try this myself.

    ReplyDelete