Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Green Apple, Marcona Almond & Idiazábal Cheese Slaw

I have never liked cole slaw, the picnic and church social standby side of shredded cabbage, iceberg lettuce and grated carrot in a mayonnaise-based dressing. I don't particularly dislike any one of its elements, but the combination of flavors have never appealed to me.

About five years ago, when I lived in Madrid, I discovered my inspiration for this dish in a tapas bar near the Plaza de Santa Ana. A couple of friends and I were tapeando (going from tapas bar to tapas bar, filling up on small plates and having plenty of wine) a little before midnight, which is when nightlife in Madrid really gets going. Unfortunately, because there are dozens of places like the one I visited, I can't recall exactly which bar it was! The good news is that I have remembered very well the different components of the "salad," as the bar called it: crisp, green apple; rich, nutty Idiazábal cheese, sliced Marcona almonds and a rosemary vinaigrette.

Ingredients:
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, grated or cut into matchsticks
1 cup Idiazábal (Manchego can be substituted) cheese, grated or cut into matchsticks
1/2-cup Marcona almonds, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
3 teaspoons dijon mustard
Rosemary, chopped, to taste
Black pepper, to taste

Procedure:
(1) Combine apple, cheese and almonds in a bowl.
(2) Mix red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, plenty of chopped rosemary and a bit of black pepper in another bowl. Slowly pour in olive oil, whisking constantly and rapidly.
(3) Incorporate vinaigrette into other ingredients and serve slaw either immediately or chilled, on its own or over a bed of arugula.


No comments:

Post a Comment